Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wasatch Front 100 Part I

This is my first posting in my blog.



This past weekend I completed my first 1oo miler - the Wasatch Front 100 - http://www.wasatch100.com in Utah.

The extended weekend all started early Thursday morning when we (my Dad and Father-in-Law) left Hillsboro, Oregon and headed east to Twin Falls Idaho which was where we would spend our first night. Friday morning we continued to our finally destination - Salt Lake City - where check-in took place at Sugarhouse Park. Luckily our hotel was located right across the street from the park - which made for an easy weigh-in and race debriefing as well as getting my 2 drop bags ready for the race. My buddy Trevor Garner from Victor, Idaho (who was to pace me starting at either Lambs Canyon or Millscreek Aid Stations) called and wasn't going to be arriving till around 11:00pm. I met my friend Nelson Snyder - who lives in Portland and have done many adventures with - at Sugar house Park. I did the weigh-in - 160.2 pounds - and dropped off my small dropped bags for Pole Line Pass A.S. (mile 83.39) and Pot Bottom A.S. (mile 93.13). After the race debriefing, both Dads and I headed out to get pizza (my favorite pre-race meal). It was recommended we try "The Pie"-http://www.thepie.com . They know how to make excellent pizza. And the funky, alternative atmosphere reminded me of SE Portland. Cool place. I highly recommend it!! I opted not to have a beer. Better save that for after the race. After dinner, we retired to bed around 9pm since the alarm was set to go off at 3:30am to head back up north to the start of the race in Kaysville, UT. Surprisingly I slept well. The only interuption was T arriving.....which really wasn't an interuption. It was good seeing him again. Last adventure we did together was the Rim to Rim to Rim run in the GC (Grand Canyon) in early May. Since then Trevor completed Big Horn 100 & Leadville 100.
When we arrived at the start line I then started to feel a little nervous. Doubts started running through my mind.....Did I train enough? Was I in good enough shape? I know I should have done a few more 50 mile runs. Did I forget something?......then it was 5am, a few cheers and we were off and running.

No comments: